Monday, August 6, 2012

Costa Rica - Day 5

Yes, I am sick. I spent the night tossing and turning with the joy of navigating a dark hotel room back and forth to the bathroom. I'm not the only one sick so it might have been something we ate. But there was no way I was going to miss the church service that had been hyped all week so I toughed it out. It only got worse as the day went on.

After a lighter than usual breakfast we made a quick stop at the farmer's market. Very cool! All kinds of interesting fruits, vegetables, lottery tickets, and fish.
Gringos* in the Market

After the market it was time for church. Another great experience. Everyone told me that the sermon was very good. I was able to take communion with my tico brothers and sisters. It started off with some very energetic singing and dancing. Many of the attendees gathered around the stage and danced in unison, clapped in unison, and praised Jesus in unison. Awesome. After the singing and dancing there was a ceremony for all the attendees of the sessions we taught to give them certificates of completion. It was quite an emotional experience for me. Oh yea, and sweaty. Remember my previous picture of the sanctuary?
This is a Sanctuary
After church we headed out to lunch with a few of the church leaders and their families. The restaurant was obviously not set up for groups of 16. Between the first meal being brought out and the last was over an hour. Needless to say, the first ones served did not wait for everyone to be served. By this time I was ready to crawl under the table and sleep. It felt like the longest lunch I have ever eaten. We finally got back to the hotel about 4:30 and I promptly went to bed. Besides a few trips to the bathroom and some tossing and turning, I remained in bed until 6 AM Monday morning when my alarm went off to announce the beginning of another busy day. Once again, determination got me out of bed.

*In Costa Rica, "gringo" is not a derogatory term, it is merely a term for white people from the States.

No comments: