Friday, June 25, 2010

Five Question Friday

Check out Mama M at My Little Life to participate.







1. Do you know how to play a musical instrument?

Not as well as I would like to, but then again, this particular skill wouldn't get used much these days anyway. I used to play the flute. In junior high. Now the only thing I can do is put my fingers in the right place. I also play the piano a bit and would like to a lot more, but (1) I don't have much extra time to do it and (2) we don't have a piano, which is actually more inhibiting than the time thing.

2. What is your pet peeve while driving?

It used to be people that would zoom past a long line of cars waiting to get on or off some freeway and then cut in at the very last second. Now? I can honestly say I don't have any. I don't care anymore. In fact, I'm the annoying car that let's all those "zoomers" cut in front of me. What changed? I'm glad you asked.

The first time Wesley had breathing issues (asthma like, but only manifesting with every other virus he gets) we took him to the clinic and walked out with a nebulizer and a prescription for albuterol and a steroid. Being the novice that I was when it comes to such things, we left the clinic for lunch with Sean since Wes seemed to be doing better after his treatment at the clinic. By the time lunch was over Wesley was in desperate need of another dose of albuterol and we had a 20-minute drive ahead of us to pick it up at Target. If you've ever heard your child wheezing and crying and seen him retracting you can guess what kind of mental state I was in during the endless drive down 169. In order to make it through the stop light that was the last obstacle between us and the albuterol, I had to make a left hand turn from the left side of a two-lane turn lane. Then I needed to immediately turn right. I knew I wouldn't be popular trying to sneak back over into the right lane, but I never dreamed that someone would actually do everything in her power to prevent that from happening. Well she did. And I was mad. And I wanted to follow her into Target and tell her why I was being such a rude driver. I didn't. The prescription was more important. I scooped up Wesley and his new nebulizer, rushed to the prescription counter, opened the package and "nebbed" him right there in front of the Q-Tips. I learned a lot that day. First of all, don't wait to get help or treat your child when he can't breathe. Secondly, people do things they wouldn't normally do, i.e., drive rudely, when they are in crisis-mode. This second lesson has given me empathy for those "rude drivers" and, in turn, so much more patience. You never know what someone is dealing with at the moment and how that may influence their decisions and behavior. So I err on the side of compassion and driving is a much more pleasant experience now.

3. Would you rather have a housekeeper or unlimited spa services?

Housekeeper! I didn't even need to read what came after "or" because I would choose a housekeeper over almost anything else.

4. Is there a song that you hear that will take you back to the moment, like a junior high or high school dance?

I'm not completely sure what moment this question is referencing, but I think everyone has songs that remind them of events. And now that I'm sitting here trying to think of an example, I'm learning that the song must trigger the memory. The memory, most definitely, does not trigger the song.

5. What song best represents your life right now?

Is there a song about sweeping floors, wiping noses, reading stories, playing legos and feeding children? Because that's the one that represents my life.

No comments: