Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Costa Rica - Day 1

As some of you know, I found an opportunity to serve the Lord in Costa Rica this summer. Well, I'm writing this from Costa Rica on my first day. We (a team of 3 from Indianapolis and I) arrived early this afternoon in San Jose, Costa Rica from Atlanta where we met for the first time at gate E11.

See Costa Rica in the southeast corner?

We were able to find our host, Dan, among a very large crowd of eager-to-help Ticos (Costa Ricans) and went for lunch, which consisted of 2 chickens that were cooked on a spit in a fire oven, fried plantains, french fries, and tortillas. With lunch I had a glass of guanabana fruit, it looked like milk mixed with lemonade but tasted delightful. (For pronunciation watch this.)After lunch we stopped at a large market/mall to get some colones (dinero) and a few things from the supermarket.
Guanabana Fruit
After some downtime for unpacking and resting after a morning of travel we tried some Brasilian pizza. Which was also very good. With that meal I tried some watermelon juice, good but not as good and the guanabana. I assume you are familiar with watermelons. I know, I know....you're in Costa Rica and you get BRASILIAN pizza? Oh well, Costa Rica IS closer to Brasil than Minnesota.

Some of you might be wondering: what are you doing in Costa Rica, Sean? Well, I'm glad you asked! Our team is going to be teaching business classes to, what I think, is a primarily Christian audience. A couple guys are going to be teaching about how to start a business, like creating a business plan. I am going to be talking to young adults (late teens, early twenties) about starting a career in technology and using technology to enhance a ministry. Young ticos are very interested in technology, especially anything from the United States. Some large US tech companies have been expanding to Costa Rica. We are working with interpreters that have been paired with us based on their backgrounds and the topics being taught.

As I write I am reminded of Romans 8:31 where Paul asks, "If God is for us, who can be against us?" Before coming to Costa Rica, Dan reminded us frequently to "be flexible." That's how I'm heading into this week. I'm not at all nervous or fearful, which as most of you know is unusual for me. I've given every part of this trip to Him, His will, and His glory. I'm sure we are on Satan's radar, so if we do encounter his ilk I will remember that our suffering today is nothing compared to the glory that will be revealed in us. (Rom. 8:18)

A few weeks ago Dan, our host, felt God laying on his heart Jeremiah 33:3 specifically for this team, "Call on me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." In reference to receiving wisdom from God. It struck me how God communicated this verse to Dan while our family is going through some intense searching of what the Lord would have for our family. Big things can happen when you give your life, and everything in it, over to God. Just remember, He's the one that created the earth from nothing, parted the sea (and a river later), rained food from heaven for 40 years, crushed the walls of Jericho, and even created a rock He couldn't move! Do no limit Him in your life. Allow Him to do great things through you....for HIS glory and your reward.

I would love to make you lofty promises of a new post every day but I just can't commit. The sessions that we're teaching are in the evening and will likely go late. Our days are quite full. Tomorrow we're spending the day at the church preparing for our presentations: meeting with church leaders, touring the facility, prepping the translators. Friday and Saturday we're having open forums for session attendees to learn more and get some one-on-one time. Sunday is church, followed by a gathering of approximately 16 church leaders over lunch. Hopefully I can get you some real pictures too.

I started reading a new book yesterday on the plane, Date Your Wife. Husbands, if you feel like your marriage is losing steam - read this book. Wives, if your husband isn't leading you - buy him this book (and make him read it). Friends, if your friends' marriage looks like it could use a boost - buy them this book (and ask them everyday if they've started reading it yet). I can't give it enough kudos.

4 comments:

The Greene's said...

Thanks for sharing, Sean! Hope you are a blessing and are blessed by your experiences there :)

Beckie said...

You're a good man and I'm blessed to be your wife.

Sarah said...

Send me some fruit! :) Looks good. And I loved your adjective, "delightful"

sean said...

Thanks, Beckie and Sarah G. God is revealing a lot to me. I hope that He is using me to do the same for others.

Sarah P., I was tired of using the same adjectives over and over. And it was "delightful."