Monday, October 20, 2008

Hockey?

Recently Jack has been very concerned about what Sean and I are going to do after he goes to bed. "What are you going to do, mommy?" he asks me every night right before I leave his room. The most common answer these days is "work." "Why?" he asks. "To make money," I respond. "Why?" he asks again. This could go on all night so I just say, "Goodnight, Jack. I love you. Don't get out of bed."

Saturday night we had a slightly different exchange... We had dinner at the Phillips' and put the boys to bed there. As I was leaving the room Jack asked, "What are you going to do, mommy?" "Play a game" I responded. "What game?" he asked. "I don't know" I said because we hadn't decided yet. "Hockey?" he asked. I assured him we would not be playing hockey (not sure two pregnant women could navigate very well on skates holding a big stick) and left the room.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I HATE that question!! Why, why, why...

sean said...

Isn't it a good question though? The child wants to learn. How we form our answer to this "why" question may have a great affect on the future of how the child learns. If you stifle it now perhaps you will be encouraging them to not ask questions in the future. Should we teach our children to take everything they hear as the truth?

Sarah said...

Well, you know that's OUR parenting philosophy! :)
The why's mostly bug me when the kids go on autopilot with it and ask even when they know the answer.
One of the many areas I'm not a perfect parent...

Kirk said...

I love that you blog so faithfully! It is fun to read and see how all of you are doing. I don't know if you feel up to getting together before the baby. Congratualtions on all the life and learning that is going on in your home!!

Love,
The Anderson's