Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Quick Update

I know it's been forever since I've updated, but I've been really busy. Things are changing quickly in the Starkey household and "baby sister" (as she is commonly referred to) will be here before we know it.


Speaking of baby sister...everything is good on that front. I had my glucose screen a couple weeks ago and they didn't call me so it's safe to say I'll make it through another pregnancy with no diabetic complications. She's moving around like crazy, kicking me all the time. My only complaint is the toll this pregnancy is taking on my body. I'm just a lot more sore than I was with the other two. The other two could have something to do with that...


Let's go youngest to oldest...Wesley is zooming into toddler-hood. He is starting to really be able to communicate with us and is even starting to put together syllables that, to eager parents, sound like words. He is pretty good at "hi" - we know it's "hi" b/c it's frequently accompanied by his Miss America wave. We think he knows "all done" or "ah da" because the few times he's used it have been at an appropriate time. The problem is that he is never really all done eating so he doesn't get much practice on this one. Wesley really likes his big brother and his big brother's toys. He likes talking on his cell phone and started holding it up to his ear a few weeks ago. No steps yet. He has ventured a few behind the walker, but he's still a little out of balance to stand or take any steps on his own. I'm anxiously awaiting that day because he's getting pretty big to carry around all the time.


Jack is busy. All the time. And we've entered into the "why" phase. I proudly admit that I have used the phrase "because I said so" more than a couple times. All parents have earned the right to have that kind of authority. I have started turning the question around to him and asking "why do you think?" I keep convincing myself that this approach is good for him and will help him learn to reason on his own...not just an easy way out for me. He's really been into reading lately. I attribute this to two things (1) he got a library card last week so he's been reading the new library books he got to take home, and (2) he has earned several new books as part of an incentive program (bringing my work home?) for memorizing Bible verses. Each time he recites a verse in a normal voice while sitting still (pretty low criteria, I know) he earns a sticker on a chart for that particular verse. Once he earns enough stickers for a verse he gets a "prize" (read new book). I've come to the conclusion that it's a behavior chart as much as it is a Scripture memorization chart. The Scripture he's got down - he often recites his verses throughout the day in different play situations. It's the behavior that is a little more challenging. Why do children always get a burst of energy right before bed regardless of what you do to burn it off in the evening? I'm glad God has a sense of humor - I'm banking on it when it comes to Jack's behavior during Bible verse and prayer time. Each prayer starts with (keep in mind that prayer time is right before we turn the lights out for bed) "Heavenly Father, thank you for this food and thank you for this meal and thank you that Grandpa could come and stay with me today" (whether Grandpa came or not).

No comments: