Thursday, May 29, 2008

Selling Babies?

I was listening to the radio yesterday and the topic was the couple in Vancouver that tried to sell their baby on Craig's list for $10,000 (way too little if you ask me, but maybe they just needed to make a quick buck). Anyway, it brought up the following question:

Why does the government have the right to tell a couple that they can't be compensated for giving someone else their baby?

I'd be interested to know what others think. I am a strong proponent of small government and allowing people as much freedom as possible (for example, being able to choose what kind of light bulbs we use in our homes), but I think this is an area where the government should step in. There is something about capitalism when human beings are the "capital" that just isn't right.

3 comments:

The Greene's said...

This is going to be very brief and just kind of my initial thoughts on the topic - Seems to me that because we are talking about an acutal person and not just a piece of property (like a light bulb) that there would be some human rights issue at hand, which IMO would then give the government adequate reason to be involved. This is my legalistic response....My human, motherly response says - You people are nuts and shouldn't be allowed to procreate!

Jennifer Poole said...

Isn't selling human beings something done in a slavery-type situation? I don't think it's a great idea, myself. And what about the child as he/she ages... talk about a knock on the self-esteem..."yeah, my mom and dad sold me."

Sarah said...

Yes, our government should not allow this.
I can't say more, there's too many thoughts whirling around in my head at the mere thought of this.
Is this going to be a new section of the want ads in your Sunday paper?
Clearance!
only $1200!!
Good grief!!