Monday, March 16, 2009

The Unmentionable Weekend

After over sleeping Friday morning, I awoke to find Sean in the kitchen with Jack nearly 30 minutes late for leaving for work. "Shouldn't you be gone?" I asked him. "I'm not going to work today," was his reply. "What? Why?" came my panicked response. "Don't worry about it," he told me (yeah, right), "just go back to bed." There was no way I was going to sleep after that so he gave in and told me I needed to get dressed because I was leaving at 8:30. Didn't tell me where, just told me I was leaving. I obliged. I got in the car at 8:30 (well, it was 8:40 because I can never leave on time anymore) and found myself at a spa being pampered with a facial, paraffin dip for my hands and feet and a new "do"...bliss.
I came home a couple hours later to find out that I was also being treated to lunch. If you haven't tried Stella's Fish Cafe in uptown, I highly recommend it. We were seated in the kitchen and, upon arrival, found a personalized menu wishing a certain someone Happy Birthday. Then I was informed that we had some "time to kill" before our dinner reservation. Dinner too? I thought filling that time was open for discussion, but I soon learned that most of it would be filled with drive time to Duluth. A two hour trip ended at Black Woods on the Lake and a very nice dinner overlooking Lake Superior. After dinner we were back in the car to continue our journey to Lutsen Resort where we would stay until Sunday. Wow! Three entire days spent with my favorite person and only one child to care for. The only thing I didn't like about my surprise birthday weekend was that I had to turn 30. Please note that this is the one and only time I will admit my real age and from now until I die turning 30 will go unmentioned.
Below are some pictures from our trip to Grand Marais.

Lighthouse on Superior

Sean went out and stood on the ice

This is how Elise spent her afternoon outside
***I would like to apologize for the formatting of this post. I don't like when everything is centered, but I've tried all my tricks and can't change it.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad you had such a good time! What a surprise weekend!!
By the way, the formatting doesn't look bad at all on the full-color blog page.

Lisa Webster said...

Sounds like a fabulous to bring in your 30s! (And really, they're not so bad...so far.) Happy Birthday, Beckie! Love you!

Lorie Crandall said...

wow! what a wonderful weekend!!
yay sean! nice work!