Friday, July 15, 2011

The Visitor

So we (me, Jack, Wesley, and Elise) were doing our nightly Bible devotions. The story that we were studying was the angel Gabriel visiting Mary to tell her that she was going to become pregnant and have a boy that she was to name Jesus. The devotional suggested asking the kids about visitors that had been by that day or that were going to come by the next day. There were also instructions for a short game where the parent gives clues about a person that visits the children so that they can try to guess who Mom or Dad are thinking of.

I thought of a person and started giving the kids clues. My first clue was, “This person always gets a ride when they come to visit.” This resulted in blank stares from all the children so I gave the next clue, “This person is a woman, a female. It’s a girl who always gets a ride to our house when she visits.” More blank stares so I moved on to my next clue, “This person is very old. I’m thinking of a woman that is very old and always gets rides to our house when she visits. Any guesses now?”

I looked at Jack and he shouted, “Debbie!”

I said, trying really hard not to laugh, “That’s not who I’m thinking of. It’s a good guess but I’m thinking of someone that is really old.”

Wesley says, with a facial expression that only Wesley can have, “Debbie’s pretty old.”

“She’s not that old, the person I’m thinking of is much older,” I said.

Wesley responds, “But she’s old.”

It was time to move on from Debbie. “Good guess, Jack, but that’s not who I was thinking of. The person I’m thinking of is Grandpa’s mom,” I said.

Wesley shouts, “Grandma!”

“No, Grandma is not Grandpa’s mom, Wesley,” I respond.

“But Grandpa always calls her ‘mom,’” Wesley says.

“Yes he does,” I said, “but she’s not his mom.”

“Why does he call her that then?” Wesley asks.

I answered, “It’s a nickname from when your mommy was a kid. That’s definitely not who I was thinking of. Ok, the visitor that I’m thinking of is a girl who always gets a ride to our house and is Grandpa’s mom. Any more guesses?”

“Great Grandma!?” asks Jack.

“Yes! Great Grandma.”

1 comment:

The Greene's said...

Too funny! You have to love the way kids minds work :)