Saturday, November 1, 2014

Gratitude

It's November. November could possibly be my favorite month of the year. It's the month that begins our celebrating {three birthdays and three holidays packed into two months}. It's the month that culminates in my all time favorite holiday {Thanksgiving, in case you didn't guess}. And it's the month that motivates so many to consider and share all they have to be thankful for.

Not to be left on the sidelines, I've decided to challenge myself to a daily "thankful" blog post during the month of November. The purpose is twofold: to get into the practice of remembering daily all the things I have to be thankful for, and to be more regular with blog posts {it's been nearly two months since my last one}. Some days (like this one) will be longer. Others will simply be one picture and one sentence. So visit often this month and join me in remembering the many wonderful blessings that come from the Lord.

This first day of November was one I anticipated for many weeks. After more than 35 years with the same company, my mom finally retired and we had the privilege of hosting a small dinner party in honor of her many years of faithful service to her company and, more importantly, to her family. So today, I am thankful for my mom; for the tireless hours she devoted to caring for me {and now for my children}, investing in me, encouraging me, crying with me, rejoicing with me, loving me. She is a wonderful example of what it means to have a servant's heart {it even took stern convincing for her to sit and relax at her party!} Love you, Mom! 

 photo DSC_0602_zpsdc70b135.jpg

Now wipe away the tears {I know all the Tupper-related family needs a tissue right now} and enjoy a glimpse of this party celebrating "the next chapter" for my mom.

 photo DSC_0635_zps5abb3a62.jpg

Though this picture is a great example of how back light will ruin a photo, this banner expressed the sentiments of all who gathered for the evening.

 photo DSC_0595_zps93c4a523.jpg

The table was set and adorned with the colors of the season.

 photo DSC_0586_zpsa61ced95.jpg

Covered books labeled our food {thank you, Dad, for providing the delicious spread from the U Garden}...

 photo DSC_0594_zpsa9563cdd.jpg


 photo DSC_0584_zps32d793b3.jpg


 photo DSC_0582_zpsd5d64794.jpg

drink...

 photo DSC_0593_zps9553a4a6.jpg

and dessert. I was in charge of desserts {which is why there were three}. All my mom's favorites: bread pudding with brandy sauce...

 photo DSC_0591_zpse1d61b19.jpg

lemon cake...

 photo DSC_0589_zpsa55ab146.jpg

and apple crisp.

 photo DSC_0587_zpsa6230472.jpg

The youngest attendees were happy to be part of Grandma's big day and happier still that they'll get to see more of their Grandma now that she's not working.

 photo DSC_0616_zps00254fe5.jpg

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think your next career should be party planning/hosting - everything looks so great!

Congrats to your mom and blessings on the next phase of her life!