Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Meat (Meal) Offering

And when any will offer a meat offering unto the Lord,
his offering shall be of fine flour; and he shall pour oil
upon it, and put frankincense thereon.
Leviticus 2:1

Perfect communion with our God as shown in the "Meat Offering" was in many senses the highest pattern which our Savior set for men. Shall we not make it the chiefest plan of every day to have a time when we enter into such worship with Him that we may truly say, "There is nothing between Thee and me, dear Lord," and then carry the sweetness of that deep communion unmarred and uninterrupted through all the hours. Most Holy Meal Offering, El Elyon, as Thou didst pour upon the fine meal of Thy perfect life the Holy Oil of Thy most Holy Spirit, and the frankincense of Thy perfect adoration, and offer all for me, so I, accepting Thine which only hallows mine, pour forth my soul, my blood-cleansed soul, in worship. Holy! Holy! Holy! is the Lord. Amen.

Daily communion. Bread that feeds us, blood that saves us. Doesn't God deserve our daily worship and adoration? He is willing to feed us each day (when we seek Him) and He saves us each day. But He doesn't want our leftovers. He wants - deserves - the finest we have to offer. In return, think of the relationship that could be, a place where you could honestly say "There is nothing between Thee and me, dear Lord," anytime of the day or night.

With Sean out of town, I definitely miss our daily "communion." We talk on the phone once a day and we can email for the short time we're both working (time zone difference), but it isn't the same as having him here acutely involved in the details of daily life. The same is true of my relationship with the Lord: I can talk to Him once a day, send quick prayers/thoughts while I'm doing something else, but it isn't the same as having Him acutely involved in the details of my daily life. For me, this depth of relationship only comes through uninterrupted daily time with God. I admit that it has been hard for me to make time for this and it's something I struggle with every week.

I would love to hear how other people experience daily quiet time with the Lord. I would especially like to hear from other moms and dads who manage to schedule kids and other household responsibilities around their daily "communion."

No comments: