Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Basics

One of the many things all children must eventually memorize is their address and telephone number. I vividly remember my own parents helping me memorize our address on Newton Ave. It had a beat. We practiced a lot.

Our current address isn't so rhythmic so I was delighted when I heard the "My Name and Address" song on our Wee Sing cd. Sung to the tune of "Rain Rain Go Away," children are encouraged to learn their full names and addresses as follows:
My name is Jane Smith
This is my address
1234 Main Street
Somewhere, California
As we were practicing, in an effort to really drive the point home, I sang the song 5 times each time naming a different person in our family. All three kids seemed to be enjoying it. Elise likes it when anyone is singing anything. Wes likes what Jack likes and Jack seemed to be catching on a little bit. Or so I thought. As soon as I'd finished the 5th verse he piped up with "That's a silly song. Boys don't wear dresses."

3 comments:

Lorie Crandall said...

funny!

Lisa Webster said...

he was listening! :) ha!

The Greene's said...

That's too funny! I remember practicing my address, but can't for the life of me remember how old I was. Jack will get it in time, he's super smart!