Friday, February 12, 2010

Let the Journey Begin

The journey actually began about a month ago, but I'm just getting around to writing about it now. Three pregnancies in four years has left me a little...well..."thick" if you know what I mean. Oh how I love delivery and the first two months following when the pounds just melt away with no effort (well, I guess there's a little effort for the delivery part). I don't know of any other "diet" plan that let's you drop 20+ pounds in a matter of days. But then reality hits and I actually have to work to get rid of the rest of the baby weight. Obviously I wasn't working hard enough because I hadn't "dropped" anything in a long time. For the record, that includes children.

Well things needed to change. And thanks to a few incredible, amazing, inspiring, supportive friends I am now on the way to a not-so-thick me. A little friendly competition encouraged me to join Weight Watchers again and after a month of some pretty major changes in my eating habits I'm happy to report that I have lost 13% of my total weight loss goal...only 87% more to go! Only? Focus on the bright side: it's not 100%.

One of the fun things about making these changes is exploring new recipes and ideas to help me balance my own nutritional needs to meet my weight loss goals with my family's nutritional needs to meet their growing-into-healthy-children goals. Sometimes they overlap, but we often have two versions of items in our pantry and refigerator: fat free cottage cheese and 2% cottage cheese, baked chips and regular chips, light bread and regular bread...you get the picture. Most of the time the kids don't notice a difference. Yesterday I made a light version of a bundt cake (not bad results for my first bundt attempt). Jack got some, but Wes and Elise were in bed by the time we cut into it. Of course it was the first thing Wesley spotted as he was coming downstairs this morning and he started repeating "dae-dae-dae" over and over again. To which Jack replies, "Mommy made a bent cake, Wesley." Does it make me a terrible mother that I didn't correct him because I thought his "bent" mistake was adorably funny and hope that he calls it a "bent" cake forever?

The next step on my journey is the addition of some...um...encouragement (?) from Jillian Michaels in the world of at-home fitness dvds. I am not, I repeat not, an exerciser, but to really be successful I know I need to become one. I'm committed to spending 20 minutes with Jillian on a regular basis. Surely I can find 20 minutes here and there for some "encouragement."

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Beckie, I've heard that WW is amazing!! I have a friend who was on a swift path to getting Type 2 diabetes and now has a clean bill of health because of WW:)

Becky said...

Hey girl - I have already told Matt that I will be joining you on WW when I hit my 6-wk mark after the baby is born...and I really liked working out with Jillian last summer before I got pregnant. Are you doing the 30 day shred? I liked it because right when I wanted to quit the crazy-hard workout, I had so little left to go that I always followed through...and you will feel quick results. :) Good luck - and way to go!!

Beckie said...

Last time I followed the WW plan it was more about how I looked, but this time it is soooo much about my health. It's amazing how a few years and a few additional "responsibilities" changes your focus.

I am doing the 30 day shred. I've heard it's super intense, but I had the same thought: I'm sure it'll be painfully hard, but it's only 20 minutes. I can endure for 20 minutes.

Lorie Crandall said...

You're doing such great work Bec! keep it up!

Lisa Webster said...

I'm so proud of you, Beckie! You are setting such a fabulous example for your kids and us too! Thank you!