Monday, February 8, 2010

Those Silly Homonyms

Children like to explore. I get that. But sometimes their exploration goes a little too far. Like yesterday afternoon. The kids had peas for lunch. While they were finishing up, I headed out to the office to complete a quick task. While I was out there I heard Wes say "pee" so, completely forgetting he had peas on his plate, I asked him if he needed to go potty. Of course he didn't. It happened again so I asked again and again got the same "No pee. Dry" answer.

Then he finished lunch and I wiped him up. While wiping is cute little face lately I've had to pay special attention to the area just under his nose. This particular afternoon I noticed something greener than normal in his nose. A pea! I was able to squeeze it out and all was fixed until I saw another one up there. This time I was only able to get half of it out. So he had to blow. Out came the second half. All the blowing made him sneeze. When he did, a THIRD PEA came shooting out onto his lip!

After making sure I had recovered the last pea I asked him why he put peas up his nose. He said "eat!". I then explained to our two-year-old that the only thing we use to eat food is our mouth and that he should never put things in his nose again.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I now know he wasn't saying "pee," but "pea."

5 comments:

The Greene's said...

Too funny! I'm impressed by his ability to blow through his nose - whenever I try to get Zach to do it he does a blowing sound with his mouth ha!

P.S. I love the new blog design.

sean said...

Didn't Jack stick an apple seed up his nose one night. Then we went out to eat at the Melting Pot and left him with a babysitter....all while the seed was still up his nose.

Mmmmm.....food without curry.

Beckie said...

Jack had a really hard time learning to blow his nose as well. In fact, Jack and Wes learned to blow through their noses at about the same time. It's tricky, I guess.

Yes, Jack stuck an apple seed up his nose right before we went out with the Busschers. Rose was home with Jack. The apple seed did come out before we returned.

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

Whoa, that's such a hilarious story! I can't believe he managed to get three of those suckers up there. I wouldn't put it past my little girl to try the same thing... but three??? Geez!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Sarah said...

haha. And someday, they too will learn the silliness of homonyms and use it to get away with all the potty talk in the world. I can hear that darn song now..."WINNIE THE POO..p"