Saturday, April 17, 2010

Writing Myself an Excuse Note

Remember when you were in school and if you were absent you had to bring a note from your mom? Since I'm not school-aged anymore and this isn't school (as educational as it may be at times) I'm writing my own note: Please excuse my absense as I've been away discovering my new toy.



Any guesses?


If you guessed a new camera, specifically a Nikon D3000 with additional lens kit and a 10,000-page book to learn how to use it (okay, 10,000 pages might be an exaggeration) then you were right! I got it for my birthday. From my husband. He's great. Not just because he gets me great gifts, though.

I got through the start-up guide on the first night. That was a lot of pages too. The book is taking me a bit longer to go through because I want to memorize every single word so that when I'm taking pictures I can make all the right adjustments and have nothing but fabulous pictures to show. So far the good pictures are mostly a result of the camera's "auto" function. I know that will change, but it's going to take a lot of practice.

I'm not very good at editing the photos yet either. I have a free trial of Photoshop Elements (only 26 days left!) that I have to figure out too. However, I did just get a call from the library that the "Photoshop for Dummies" book I placed on hold is ready for me. And boy am I ready for it.

So when you're wandering aimlessly around blog land wondering, "when will she post again?" (a girl can dream) just take comfort in the fact that there will soon be marvelously captured and/or edited photos for all to see. Until then...

2 comments:

Lisa Webster said...

Awesome! John and I were just talking about getting a fancy camera sometime. Maybe a "we're out of debt" celebration for us (still quite a while off). Looking forward to seeing your pics and hearing more about your adventures using a fancy camera! If you ever want to take pictures of us, just let me know! :)

erik & ingjerd & aiden said...

How fun Beckie with a good camera. And all the hard work will be worth it once you get around the auto function. I'll be patiently waiting for new pic's of the kids. Ingjerd